Thursday, June 11, 2009

Jets Overhead & The Rope-A-Dope Boys

Last night I went on my first assignment for Shine A Light Productions. Karina and I shot a few numbers for her Canadian friends Jets Overhead. While I knew nothing about the band going into the show, I learned enough coming out. This 5 piece band from Victoria, B.C. writes catchy rock numbers and sound like a cross between Zero 7 and My Bloody Valentine. The lead singers are a married couple and they are accompanied by a rhythm guitarist, bass and drums. Jets Overhead are also playing Bonnaroo on Friday. I expect big things from them in the future.

Here's a video of Jets Overhead playing their hit "Weathervanes"


After the show we headed over to Sullivan Hall to see the Rope-A-Dope crew. For those of you who don't know it is made up of John Medeski, Billy Martin, Joe Russo, Charlie Hunter and several others. I'm unsure of whether or not they played actual songs or just jammed for 2 hours. Either way the crew in all its different formations was rocking and tight. Russo was epic on the drums and Hunter threw down some fat blues lines while keeping things nimble with some lighting fast jazz licks. Medeski was his normal self on the keys, a complete animal making things as funky or as dark as the moment called for. The show also saw several guest performers including the Rope-A-Dope record label owner and a rocking bass player.

No comments: